As of December 2024, 301 Ukrainian civilian women are in Russian captivity, with 25 detained before Russia's full-scale invasion and 276 taken since, according to Olha Skrypnyk, head of the Crimean Human Rights Group (CHRG), speaking on Dec. 11.
“These are not the final figures; there are many more women in Russian captivity. It is very difficult to confirm this because Russia refuses to provide information about civilians,” Skrypnyk said, highlighting that the number of women detained after Feb. 24, 2022, is 11 times higher than before.
Skrypnyk stressed that the primary government priority is to secure the release of all prisoners of war and civilians, noting the importance of post-release assistance.
She called for clear measures to support former hostages and their families, urging the continuation of the Commission for establishing the fact of deprivation of personal freedom to facilitate state assistance.
Since the start of Russia’s full-scale invasion, at least 177 Ukrainian prisoners have died in captivity, according to Victoria Tsymbaliuk of the Ukrainian Coordination Center for the Treatment of Prisoners of War.
Additionally, at least 19,500 Ukrainian children have been abducted by Russia, with fewer than 400 returned home, according to the Children of War database.
Ukraine continues to advocate for an all-for-all prisoner exchange, which was a key topic during the peace summit held in Switzerland in June.
President Biden approved another package of military aid to Ukraine, which will include air defense, artillery, drones, and armored vehicles. The White House confirmed that it will continue to provide assistance until the end of the administration's term.
The United States will announce another package of military aid to Ukraine today – President Joe Biden has already approved it. This was announced at a briefing by the spokesman for the White House National Security Council, John Kirby, UNN reports.
"Today, the president (Biden) approved a new aid package for Ukraine," Kirby said.
According to him, the new aid package will include more air defense, artillery, drones and armored vehicles.
"We will continue to provide new packages until the end of this administration's term," Kirby concluded.
The United States is preparing a new aid package for Ukraine in the amount of 988 millionDec 7 2024, 08:59 PM • 51913 views
NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte warned on Dec. 12 that the alliance is not ready for the threats it will face from Russia in the coming years, urging a shift to a wartime mindset with significantly higher defense spending.
Rutte highlighted that NATO members spent more than 3% of GDP on defense during the Cold War and argued that future spending should exceed the current 2% target.
“Russia is preparing for a long-term confrontation with Ukraine and with us,” he said, adding that its hostile actions against allied states are escalating.
While NATO’s current deterrence is effective, Rutte expressed concern about the alliance’s future readiness.
“We are not prepared for what awaits us in four or five years. The danger is heading our way at full speed. What is happening in Ukraine could happen here,” he cautioned.
Rutte also pointed out that Russia has already shifted its economy to a wartime footing, with defense spending projected to reach 7-8% of GDP by 2025, the highest since the Cold War.
Though there is no immediate threat to NATO’s 32 member states, Rutte insisted that preparedness is essential regardless of the war’s outcome in Ukraine.
European NATO foreign ministers are reportedly considering gradually raising the alliance’s defense spending target to 3% of GDP by 2030, according to Financial Times.
Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has exposed significant manufacturing and procurement gaps in Western defense industries, prompting urgent calls to bolster production capabilities.
The urgency of these efforts could increase under U.S. President-elect Donald Trump, who has previously criticized NATO allies for not meeting defense spending criteria.
Trump has suggested reducing U.S. support for NATO countries that fail to meet their commitments and has hinted at scaling back aid for Ukraine.
His presidency, beginning in January 2025, may push European countries to take on greater responsibility for their defense.
Movement of enemy drones was spotted in the airspace of Kyiv region. Air defense forces are working on targets, and there is a threat of attacks from the eastern and northeastern directions.
Movement of enemy drones has been spotted in Kyiv region, air defense forces are working on targets, UNN reports with reference to the Kyiv RMA.
"Kyiv region. A UAV was spotted in the airspace. Air defense forces are working on targets," the statement said.
In addition, the RMA urged to stay in shelters until the end of the air raid.
Add
According to the Air Force, the enemy launched several groups of UAVs.
In addition, the Air Force warned that Kyiv region faces the threat of enemy attack UAVs from the eastern/northeastern directions.
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) and the Aon risk management firm launched a 110-million-euro ($116 million) guarantee program to help insurers cover some war-related risks in Ukraine, the EBRD announced on Dec. 12.
Ukraine's insurance companies have struggled to offer war insurance services as international reinsurers have largely withdrawn from the market after the outbreak of Russia's full-scale war in 2022.
The EBRD's new Ukraine Recovery and Reconstruction Guarantee Facility will help reinsurance companies cover risks connected to land-based transport, focusing on small and medium businesses.
It currently does not extend to fixed assets or maritime transport, though the bank said in a press release that the program may evolve based on market demand.
In August, the Marsh McLennan risk management company launched a $50 million insurance facility for grain shipped via the Black Sea.
The EBRD's facility was launched with the support of European donors and in partnership with the Ukraine-based insurance companies INGO, Colonnade, and Uniqua, as well as the international reinsurer MS Amlin, enabling the companies to ensure higher amounts.
The program does not include a pre-determined list of companies that will be involved, meaning that it will respond to market demand. The EBRD said the facility should enable insurance coverage for over 1 billion euros ($1.05 billion) in vehicles and goods in transit annually.
Active in Ukraine throughout the full-scale war, the EBRD is an international investment institution that has invested more than $5.6 billion in Ukraine since February 2022.
Aon is a British-American professional services company founded by American billionaire Pat Ryan.
"The EBRD’s guarantee will enable private-sector reinsurers to re-engage on Ukrainian war risk and build a resilient insurance market in Ukraine," EBRD President Odile Renaud-Basso said in a statement.
"This is crucial to giving businesses confidence that their assets are protected, which, in turn, will unlock and accelerate investment in Ukraine."
The program was coordinated with Ukraine's Economy Ministry and the National Bank.
"We are sincerely grateful to the EBRD and all parties involved in launching this insurance mechanism. The market has been eagerly anticipating it," Economy Minister Yuliia Svyrydenko said.
"I am confident that this mechanism will provide much-needed support for small and medium-sized businesses, which have been severely affected by the war."
The Ukrainian Armed Forces Commander-in-Chief reported enemy losses of about 400 people daily in the Pokrovsk sector in December. Syrskyi noted that this area remains one of the most difficult.
In December, the enemy is reportedly losing about 400 people killed and wounded in the Pokrovsk sector on average per day. This was announced by the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Oleksandr Syrskyi, UNN reports.
Details
According to Syrsky, the Pokrovske direction has been one of the most difficult in the context of the confrontation with the Russian occupiers for several months.
"We are calculating and preparing for all possible options for further actions of the enemy," emphasized the Chief of Staff.
Syrsky thanked the servicemen for their effective combat work.
The losses of the Russian occupiers in the Pokrovsk sector are consistently high, especially in manpower. Thus, in December, the enemy averaged about 400 people killed and wounded per day
– summarized the Commander-in-Chief.
Recall
Ukrainian Armed Forces Commander-in-Chief Oleksandr Syrskyi arrived in the Pokrovsk sector, where fierce fighting continues. According to him, to increase the resilience of the defense, non-standard solutions have to be adopted.
U.S. President-elect Donald Trump said he "very vehemently" disagrees with Ukraine using U.S.-made missiles to strike targets "hundreds of miles" inside Russia, the Time magazine reported on Dec. 12.
Members of Trump's inner circle previously criticized the outgoing Biden administration's decision to ease restrictions on long-range strikes, though this is the first time the president-elect has spoken against it publicly himself.
"I disagree very vehemently with sending missiles hundreds of miles into Russia. Why are we doing that?" Trump told Time as the magazine named him Person of the Year.
"We’re just escalating this war and making it worse."
The U.S. president-elect has criticized the level of support the Biden administration provided to Ukraine and signaled Kyiv should brace for reduced assistance once he takes office in January.
While he boasted many times during his campaign that he would end the war within 24 hours, Trump admitted to Time that Russia's invasion is even more complex than the situation in the Middle East.
"The numbers of dead young soldiers lying on fields all over the place are staggering. It’s crazy what’s taking place."
When asked whether he would cut aid to Ukraine, Trump said instead he would use the U.S. aid as leverage to push the Kremlin to the negotiating table.
"I want to reach an agreement, and the only way you’re going to reach an agreement is not to abandon."
Trump met President Volodymyr Zelensky in Paris on Dec. 7 to discuss the ongoing war. Reuters wrote that while the two did not discuss specifics of any concrete peace plan, Trump called for an immediate ceasefire while Zelensky stressed the need for security guarantees.
Following his meeting with Zelensky, Trump said the Ukrainian leader is ready "to make a deal and stop the madness" and that Putin should do the same after incurring staggering losses in Ukraine.
"Too many lives are being so needlessly wasted, too many families destroyed, and if it keeps going, it can turn into something much bigger, and far worse," Trump wrote on Social Truth on Dec. 8.
Zelensky addressed Trump's post on his Telegram channel on Dec. 8, saying the war "cannot be ended simply with a piece of paper and a few signatures," warning that "a ceasefire without guarantees can be reignited at any moment, as Putin has already done in the past."
The Ukrainian president has signaled openness to a diplomatic end to the war as the Russian advance picked up pace in the east while Ukraine's resources grow thin.
Russia promises to respond to Ukraine's alleged strike on the Taganrog military airfield with ATACMS missiles. peskov said that the response will be given “when and how it is deemed appropriate.
Russia intends to retaliate against Ukraine's strike on Taganrog, which, according to the Russian Defense Ministry, was carried out with ATACMS missiles.
Transmits to UNN with reference to the Russian media.
Russian dictator Dmitry Peskov's spokesman said at a meeting with journalists that Russia will definitely respond to the attack on the city of Taganrog in Rostov region. The Russian Defense Ministry claims that the attack was allegedly carried out on the airfield in the city, using long-range ATACMS missiles.
I want to remind you of the absolutely unambiguous and direct statement of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation yesterday, which clearly states that there will be a response… When and how it is deemed appropriate. It will happen”
– Peskov said, according to Russian media.
Recall
UNN reports: the Russian Defense Ministry announced a morning missile attack on a military airfield in Taganrog, using American ATACMS missiles. According to the Russian military, some of the missiles were allegedly shot down and deflected by air defense systems.
Sochi airport introduces “Carpet” plan amid drone attacks: all flights delayedDec 11 2024, 06:59 PM • 27585 views
Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk and French President Emmanuel Macron are expected to discuss the possibility of sending soldiers to Ukraine after a potential ceasefire deal, Bloomberg reported on Dec. 11, citing undisclosed sources.
Macron is visiting Warsaw on Dec. 12 to brief the Polish prime minister on his meeting with U.S. President-elect Donald Trump last week and to discuss Europe's support for Ukraine and ways to end Russia's war.
European powers, like France and Poland, are expected to take center stage in helping Kyiv resist and deter Russian aggression as Trump signaled intent to reduce support and get the U.S. "out" of the war.
According to Bloomberg, the talks between Macron and Tusk are to focus on how to strengthen Ukraine's security in the short- and long-term, including the option of deploying European soldiers once a ceasefire is reached.
The French president has spearheaded the idea of sending troops to Ukraine in some capacity since February. More recently, Macron reportedly discussed the proposal of sending peacekeepers on the ground with U.K. Prime Minister Keir Starmer in November.
Szymon Holownia, the speaker of the lower chamber of the Polish parliament, told the media that Poland would be involved in such a mission only within a NATO framework.
President Volodymyr Zelensky, who also met Trump and Macron on Dec. 7, recently said that Ukraine "may consider" the deployment of foreign peacekeepers, but only after receiving a clear timeline for NATO membership.
Both Paris and Warsaw have been favorable toward Ukraine's entry into the alliance, but the step continues to meet opposition in the U.S., Germany, Hungary, and elsewhere.
The possibility of a diplomatic end to the war is increasingly discussed in Ukraine and the West. Tusk, whose country takes over the EU Council's presidency in January, said peace talks could begin as early as this winter.
Russia showed no interest in a ceasefire as its forces currently hold the upper hand on the battlefield, closing in on key Ukrainian strongholds in Donetsk Oblast.
Mikhail Shatsky, deputy general designer of the Mars Design Bureau, is shot dead near Kotelniki. He was engaged in the modernization of X-59 cruise missiles and the introduction of artificial intelligence into UAVs.
Mikhail Alexandrovich Shatsky, deputy general designer and head of the functional software department of the Mars Design Bureau, was shot dead in the Kuzminsky Forest Park near the boiler houses in the Moscow region.
This was reported by UNN with reference to the source.
Details
According to UNN sources in the Defense Forces, the Main Intelligence Directorate of the Defense Ministry may be involved in the murder of Mykhailo Shatsky.
Mikhail Shatsky was the head of the functional software department at the Russian federal state unitary enterprise Moscow Research and Development Bureau Mars, a subsidiary of the Russian state nuclear energy holding company Rosatom.
In particular, Shatsky was engaged in the modernization of X-59 cruise missiles to the X-69 level, and his colleagues considered the murdered designer to be the main ideologist of the introduction of artificial intelligence into UAVs and other Russian aircraft and spacecraft.
We remind you that every person who is in any way involved in the development of the Russian military-industrial complex and thus supports Russian aggression against Ukraine is a legitimate target for the Defense Forces
– said the UNN source.
Recall
Russian journalist Aleksandr Nevzorov reported that the deputy general designer, head of the software department of the Mars design bureau, Mikhail Shatsky, who was engaged in the modernization of X-59 cruise missiles to the X-69 level and the introduction of new UAVs, was eliminated in Moscow.