Category: War in Ukraine

Last news • War in Ukraine

  • The White House confirms Ukraine’s right to use ATACMS in Russia

    The White House confirms Ukraine’s right to use ATACMS in Russia

    The White House confirms Ukraine's right to use ATACMS in Russia

    US National Security Council Coordinator John Kirby officially recognized the lifting of restrictions on Ukrainian strikes on Russian territory with ATACMS missiles. Biden approved Ukraine's use of these missiles for attacks in Russia, despite Moscow's threats.

    The White House has officially recognized the lifting of restrictions on the Ukrainian Armed Forces' strikes on Russian territory with ATACMS missiles. This was stated by the coordinator of the White House National Security Council John Kirby, reports UNN.

    “Right now, they have the ability to use ATACMS for self-defense, in case of emergency. And right now… this is what is happening in and around Kursk and the Kursk region,” Kirby said at the briefing.

    ATACMS destroyed Russian air defense system in Kursk region: there are casualtiesNov 25 2024, 11:58 AM • 13942 views

    Recall

    Biden endorsed Ukraine's use of ATACMS, long-range missiles supplied by Washington, for such attacks in Russia. Moscow described their potential use as an escalation that would make Washington a direct combatant in the war and lead to Russian retaliation.

  • Ukraine ‘sees existing threats’ from Russia in Zaporizhzhia sector, Zelensky says

    Ukraine ‘sees existing threats’ from Russia in Zaporizhzhia sector, Zelensky says

    Ukraine 'sees existing threats' from Russia in Zaporizhzhia sector, Zelensky says

    Ukraine is tracking threats from Russian troops in southern Zaporizhzhia Oblast, President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Nov. 25 following a report by Commander-in-Chief Oleksandr Syrskyi.

    "We see the existing threats," Zelensky said.

    In early October, Russian troops reportedly renewed their attack in the Zaporizhzhia sector. Kyiv warned of a potential Russian push in the southern region, saying Moscow was deploying trained assault groups to front-line positions in mid-November.

    Russia is also carrying out intense attacks in multiple sections of the eastern front, with attempts to break through Ukraine's defenses in Donetsk Oblast toward the towns of Pokrovsk and Kurakhove, attempting to encircle the latter one.

    The president described the situation near the town of Kurakhove in Donetsk Oblast as "the most difficult."

    "We are working to strengthen our positions," he added.

    According to the president, Ukrainian soldiers also continue to hold positions in Kursk Oblast amid an ongoing nearly four-months-long incursion.

    Last week, Reuters reported that Kyiv had lost over 40% of captured territory in the Russian region due to Moscow's counterattacks. To aid Moscow's war effort, North Korea has dispatched 10,000 troops to Russia, with most of them deployed in Kursk Oblast.

    "Our task is to destroy the Russian potential in the border area as much as possible," Zelensky said.

    Opinion: Nuclear escalation fears can’t override Ukraine’s right to defend itselfFollowing Donald Trump’s victory in the 2024 U.S. presidential election, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a Democratic congresswoman from New York, publicly appealed to those who had voted for both her and Trump. She wanted to know what motivated such an apparently inconsistent choice, and the predominant…Ukraine 'sees existing threats' from Russia in Zaporizhzhia sector, Zelensky saysThe Kyiv IndependentSlavoj ŽižekUkraine 'sees existing threats' from Russia in Zaporizhzhia sector, Zelensky says
  • Covering critical infrastructure from the sky? Energy and its protection were discussed at the meeting

    Covering critical infrastructure from the sky? Energy and its protection were discussed at the meeting

    Covering critical infrastructure from the sky? Energy and its protection were discussed at the meeting

    The meeting discussed the protection of energy infrastructure and its restoration after shelling. They considered air defense, arms contracting, and cooperation with European partners on electricity imports.

    President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy held a meeting of the Security Council – they talked about energy and its protection, as well as covering critical infrastructure facilities from the sky, UNN reports.

    "I held a meeting on energy and its protection. There were reports from the Ministry of Energy, Naftogaz and all key industry players. We talked about the progress of recovery after the Russian shelling on November 17 and further protection of all critical facilities. Gas infrastructure and generation: nuclear, hydro, thermal, etc. We also talked about our partnership with European countries to increase opportunities for electricity imports, in particular for business," Zelenskyy said.

    In addition, according to him, there was a report by the Air Force on covering critical infrastructure facilities from the sky.

    "We are taking the most effective experience of echeloning air defense assets and extending it to other regions," Zelensky said.

    He added that in addition to the energy sector, they also heard a report from the Ministry of Defense on contracting and advances for Ukrainian manufacturers of weapons, shells, missiles, drones, the results for 2024 and planning for 2025.

    Aviation will take an active part: Zelensky on the protection of energy infrastructureOct 15 2024, 02:05 PM • 41761 view

  • 5 injured by Russian drone during humanitarian aid distribution in Mykolaiv Oblast

    5 injured by Russian drone during humanitarian aid distribution in Mykolaiv Oblast

    5 injured by Russian drone during humanitarian aid distribution in Mykolaiv Oblast

    A Russian drone attacked the village of Solonchaky in Mykolaiv Oblast while humanitarian aid was being distributed there on Nov. 25, Governor Vitalii Kim reported.

    Five people were injured, with both aid workers and residents among the victims. All of them were taken to hospital, and two are in serious condition, the governor wrote on his Telegram channel.

    The attack comes five days after Russian forces struck another humanitarian aid distribution point in Novodmytrivka in Kherson Oblast, reportedly targeting a building where volunteers were distributing bread to residents.

    A projectile struck the roof, damaging windows, the facade, and the roof itself. No injuries were reported in that case.

    Earlier today, Russian forces also struck houses in central Kharkiv, injuring 23, and also struck downtown Odesa, wounding 11, local authorities reported.

    Russian missile attack on central Kharkiv injures 23Russia launched an attack against the central part of Kharkiv on the morning of Nov. 25, injuring at least 23 people, officials reported.5 injured by Russian drone during humanitarian aid distribution in Mykolaiv OblastThe Kyiv IndependentMartin Fornusek5 injured by Russian drone during humanitarian aid distribution in Mykolaiv Oblast
  • G7 plans tougher language to pressure China over Russia support – Bloomberg

    G7 plans tougher language to pressure China over Russia support – Bloomberg

    G7 plans tougher language to pressure China over Russia support - Bloomberg

    G7 ministers plan to increase pressure on China over its assistance to Russia in the war against Ukraine. New sanctions and measures against Russia's “shadow fleet” are expected to be adopted.

    G7 allies intend to increase pressure on China while offering Ukraine “unwavering commitment” amid accusations that Beijing has increased support for Russia in its war against Ukraine, Bloomberg reports , UNN.

    Details

    G7 foreign ministers meeting in Italy on Monday and Tuesday are expected to pledge to “take appropriate action, consistent with our legal systems, against actors in China and other third countries” that support Russia's “war machine” in Ukraine, according to an early draft communiqué seen by Bloomberg.

    Ukraine's allies are seeking to take tough measures against countries that help Moscow's war effort, especially before US President-elect Donald Trump takes office in January, the newspaper notes.

    The wording on China, if adopted, would represent an “escalation” from the previous meeting of foreign ministers in April, when the G7 called on China to “ensure” that it stops supporting Russia with “dual-use weapons,” the newspaper said.

    It is also expected that the G7 allies “will continue to put significant pressure on Russian revenues from energy, metals and other goods through effective implementation of existing measures and further actions against the ‘shadow fleet’.

    The new measures will reportedly be aimed at limiting the use of a secret fleet of tankers assembled by Russia to circumvent price ceilings and restrictions aimed at Russia's ability to supply its oil to the market.

    Communiqués are often amended before the final version is published, and changes can still be made to the wording.

    European Union foreign ministers reportedly discussed the issue last week, and German Foreign Minister Annalena Burbock warned that China's aid to Russia “will and must have consequences.

    The latest talk about China's role comes after reports in July that Chinese and Russian companies are developing a strike drone similar to the Iranian model deployed in Ukraine. “This has raised concerns that Beijing could be moving closer to providing lethal assistance, something Western officials have warned against,” the newspaper pointed out.

    Another section of the draft communiqué reportedly “condemns North Korea's massacre of its soldiers in Ukraine” and calls for de-escalation in the Middle East.

    “While the U.S. has endorsed the use of long-range weapons against Russia, diplomats with knowledge of the talks said the final communiqué is unlikely to have that kind of consensus, as some countries, such as Italy, do not support that position and have repeatedly said that the weapons they supply should be used only for defensive purposes,” Bloomberg notes.

    G7 to discuss Russia's war against Ukraine at meeting of foreign ministers in Italy: Sybiga is expectedNov 25 2024, 10:53 AM • 9917 views

  • Ukraine’s 3rd Brigade says it cleared out Kharkiv Oblast village, took ex-convict POWs

    Ukraine’s 3rd Brigade says it cleared out Kharkiv Oblast village, took ex-convict POWs

    Ukraine's 3rd Brigade says it cleared out Kharkiv Oblast village, took ex-convict POWs

    Ukraine’s Third Assault Brigade said on Nov. 25 that it had cleared out Russian troops from the Kopanky village in Kharkiv Oblast, taking several prisoners of war (POW) from Russia’s First Tank Army.

    Russian forces were reportedly pushed out after they attempted to break into Kopanky, a village in eastern Kharkiv Oblast close to the administrative border with Luhansk Oblast.

    The settlement lies around 40 kilometers (25 miles) southeast of Kupiansk, a key logistics hub under increasing pressure from Russian troops.

    In a video published by the unit, seven POWs are seen in a basement-like room during a filmed interrogation. According to the unit, the POWs' positions came under artillery fire from the Russian military after their capture.

    Russia has been recruiting prisoners for high-risk assault operations in Ukraine to offset its staggering losses during the full-scale war.

    The Kyiv Independent could not independently verify the unit’s claims or where the video was recorded.

    The Third Separate Assault Brigade is known to have been operating around the village of Borova in Kharkiv Oblast. They launched a successful counterattack in the region in August, advancing almost 2 square kilometers deep into the front line area.

    Ukraine war latest: Ukraine has lost over 40% of territory previously gained in Kursk incursion, Reuters reportsKey developments on Nov. 23-24: * Ukraine has lost over 40% of territory previously gained in Kursk incursion, Reuters reports * West should ‘not set red lines’ on providing military support for Ukraine, French foreign minister says * Russia attacked Ukraine with over 800 KAB bombs, 460 drones,…Ukraine's 3rd Brigade says it cleared out Kharkiv Oblast village, took ex-convict POWsThe Kyiv IndependentThe Kyiv Independent news deskUkraine's 3rd Brigade says it cleared out Kharkiv Oblast village, took ex-convict POWs
  • Russia’s strike on Odesa: 11 injured, eight of them in hospital – Kiper

    Russia’s strike on Odesa: 11 injured, eight of them in hospital – Kiper

    Russia's strike on Odesa: 11 injured, eight of them in hospital - Kiper

    As a result of the Russian attack on the center of Odesa, 11 people were injured. Eight people are hospitalized, one woman is in serious condition, the rest are in moderate condition.

    As a result of today's Russian army strike on the center of Odesa, 11 people have been injured, eight of whom are in hospital, said RMA head Oleh Kiper on Monday, UNN reports .

    The number of people injured in the Russian missile attack has increased to 11. Two people were treated on the spot. Eight wounded remain in hospital: one woman in serious condition, the rest in moderate condition. One victim continues to be treated on an outpatient basis. Our medics are doing everything possible to save everyone's health and life

    – Kiper wrote on Telegram.

    The head of the RMA once again called for people to go to the nearest shelters when an air raid is announced.

    Russians launched a missile attack on the center of Odesa, there are injured – RMANov 25 2024, 08:49 AM • 10023 views

  • Russia launches missile attack against Odesa, injuring 6

    Russia launches missile attack against Odesa, injuring 6

    Russia launches missile attack against Odesa, injuring 6

    Editor's note: This is a developing story and is being updated.

    Russia launched a missile attack against the central part of Odesa on Nov. 25, inflicting casualties, Governor Oleh Kiper reported.

    "As of now, we recorded six injured. Five are in a condition of moderate severity, their lives are not in danger. One person is in serious condition," said Oleksandr Kharlov, Kiper's deputy, in a comment for the media.

    "Civilian infrastructure was damaged, namely residential buildings," Kiper said. Officials later said that the damage was caused by fallen missile debris.

    Russia launched the strike into a densely populated residential area where there are no military targets, damaging a school and a university sports hall, Kharlov reported. No students were reported as injured, as they were hiding in shelters.

    The attack came shortly after Russian forces struck the city of Kharkiv, injuring at least 23 people.

    "Since yesterday evening, Russia has used around 150 attack drones, aerial bombs, and missiles against more than 10 Ukrainian regions," President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Telegram on Nov. 25.

    Odesa, lying on the Black Sea coast in southern Ukraine, is home to some 1 million residents. The port city has been repeatedly targeted throughout the full-scale war.

    An earlier missile attack on Odesa on Nov. 18 killed at least 10 people and injured over 50.

    Russian missile attack on Odesa kills 10, injures 55Ten people have been reported killed and 55 injured. The fatalities included seven police officers, a medic, and two civilian residents.Russia launches missile attack against Odesa, injuring 6The Kyiv IndependentMartin FornusekRussia launches missile attack against Odesa, injuring 6
  • “We can hit targets up to 2000 km away”: reconnaissance men tell about new Ukrainian-made drones

    “We can hit targets up to 2000 km away”: reconnaissance men tell about new Ukrainian-made drones

    “We can hit targets up to 2000 km away": reconnaissance men tell about new Ukrainian-made drones

    The Defence Intelligence of Ukraine spoke about the stages of preparation of long-range UAVs made in Ukraine. Each drone carries 75 kg of explosives and is capable of hitting targets at a distance of up to 2000 km.

    Drones that hit for thousands of kilometers – the DIU told about some stages of preparation and deployment of long-range UAVs.

    Transmits UNN with reference to Radio Liberty.

    Details

    The Defence Intelligence of Ukraine has lifted the veil on the stages of preparation of drones capable of attacking the aggressor's military targets.

    According to the DIU experts, the preparation of devices is carried out in several stages.

    First of all, we analyze the targets, the possibility of reaching them, analyze the enemy's air defense and electronic warfare systems to find corridors to get through.

    – says the commander of the group of operators of long-range UAVs of the Defence Intelligence of Ukraine.

    Image

    In order to achieve the goals, you need to use a lot of resources, plan the operation, and strike.

    Image

    During the full-scale Russian invasion of Ukraine, the use of attack drones has undergone major changes.

    Image

    It is noted that each time the opposition is stronger.

    We are learning, the enemy is also learning.

    The story shows a flock of drones ready to take off, each with 75 kilograms of explosives.

    EU to press China on drones for Russia, warns of 'consequences' – PoliticoNov 16 2024, 10:19 AM • 40068 views

    “We are the group that was the first to launch almost all long-range drones and those that came before them. We can see the dynamics – we can now hit targets at a distance of 2,000 kilometers,” the story says.

    Image

    We can see that we are achieving results even with the means we have

    – says the commander.

    At the same time, the expert adds that “we can imagine” that if the “21st century means” that are already available were still in the required quantity, “with the skills we have already acquired, we would be several orders of magnitude more effective.”

    Foreign components made in 2023 were found in North Korean missiles used by Russia to hit Ukraine – DIUNov 25 2024, 07:15 AM • 9209 views

  • General Staff: Russia has lost 732,350 troops in Ukraine since Feb. 24, 2022

    General Staff: Russia has lost 732,350 troops in Ukraine since Feb. 24, 2022

    General Staff: Russia has lost 732,350 troops in Ukraine since Feb. 24, 2022

    Russia has lost 732,350 troops in Ukraine since the beginning of its full-scale invasion on Feb. 24, 2022, the General Staff of Ukraine's Armed Forces reported on Nov. 25.

    This number includes 1,610 casualties Russian forces suffered just over the past day.

    According to the report, Russia has also lost 9,429 tanks, 19,236 armored fighting vehicles, 29,948 vehicles and fuel tanks, 20,787 artillery systems, 1,254 multiple launch rocket systems, 1,004 air defense systems, 369 airplanes, 329 helicopters, 19,480 drones, 28 ships and boats, and one submarine.

    Ukraine war latest: Ukraine has lost over 40% of territory previously gained in Kursk incursion, Reuters reportsKey developments on Nov. 23-24: * Ukraine has lost over 40% of territory previously gained in Kursk incursion, Reuters reports * West should ‘not set red lines’ on providing military support for Ukraine, French foreign minister says * Russia attacked Ukraine with over 800 KAB bombs, 460 drones,…General Staff: Russia has lost 732,350 troops in Ukraine since Feb. 24, 2022The Kyiv IndependentThe Kyiv Independent news deskGeneral Staff: Russia has lost 732,350 troops in Ukraine since Feb. 24, 2022