Author: dmitriy.vasyura@gmail.com

  • War with cartels in Mexico: police officers wounded in car bomb explosion, 16 militants shot dead

    War with cartels in Mexico: police officers wounded in car bomb explosion, 16 militants shot dead

    War with cartels in Mexico: police officers wounded in car bomb explosion, 16 militants shot dead

    In the state of Guerrero, 16 people were killed in clashes between security forces and criminals. In Guanajuato, car bomb explosions injured three police officers and damaged buildings.

    Amid the escalation of cartel violence in Mexico, 16 militants were killed and 3 police officers were wounded in a car bomb explosion. This was reported by the Associated Press agency, UNN writes.

    Details

    In Mexico's violent southern state of Guerrero, at least 16 people were killed in multiple clashes between Mexican security forces and suspected criminals on Thursday. On the same day, three police officers were injured when a car bomb exploded near a police station in western Mexico.

    The first firefight took place in the city of Tekpan de Galeana, near the Pacific coast, where two people were killed and four others were wounded. Later, security forces clashed with a criminal group that attacked a military base in the same area, killing 14 militants.

    Also on Thursday, a car bomb exploded near a police station in the state of Guanajuato, injuring three police officers. The explosion damaged the police station, four buildings and several residential buildings, but only the police officers were injured, the department said.

    Authorities reported that another explosion, likely a second car bomb, occurred in the neighboring town of Yerekuaro. Although no one was injured, the force of the second explosion was enough to rip the tiled roof off the building, blacken the facades of surrounding shops, and set a police patrol pickup on fire.

    The near-simultaneous attacks in two different cities, located about half an hour away from each other, point to the involvement of drug cartels that have been fighting bloody battles for territory in Guanajuato for years.

    Officials say the violence in the state is linked to a conflict between the local Santa Rosa de Lima gang and the Jalisco cartel New Generation, one of the most powerful in all of Mexico.

    Libya's Governor Garcia said that an air and ground operation involving state security forces has begun to support the municipal police.

    Context

    In Mexico, there have been more than 450,000 drug-related murders since the government began using the army to fight the cartels in 2006.

    President Claudia Scheinbaum, who took office on October 1, promised to continue her predecessor's strategy of using social policies to fight crime at its roots and to make better use of intelligence.

    Add

    The northwestern region, a stronghold of the Sinaloa cartel, has also seen a surge in violence following the July arrest of drug lord Ismael "El Mayo" Zambada in the United States. Last month, he pleaded not guilty to a drug trafficking case in the United States, in which he is accused of participating in a conspiracy to murder and ordering torture.

    On Monday, Mexican troops shot dead 19 suspected Sinaloa cartel members after they were attacked.

    Mexico links kidnapping of drug boss Mayo Sambada to the release of drug trafficker Ovidio Guzman in the USAugust 30 2024, 07:14 AM • 11451 view

  • Chinese giant SVOLT closes battery production in Europe from 2025

    Chinese giant SVOLT closes battery production in Europe from 2025

    Chinese giant SVOLT closes battery production in Europe from 2025

    SVOLT Energy Technology stops producing batteries for electric vehicles in Europe and closes its German subsidiaries. The company scales back a €2 billion investment project due to high costs and a trade conflict.

    A leading company producing components for electric vehicles is cutting production amid a trade conflict. This was reported by Nikkei Asia, UNN writes.

    Details

    Leading Chinese automotive battery manufacturer SVOLT Energy Technology will close its European production sites and German subsidiaries starting in January 2025. An unspecified number of employees will be laid off.

    The officially stated reason is that the cost of the projects is too high for the company, which is already experiencing a lack of funds.

    However, the publication notes that the closure of SVOLT's business will be another example of Chinese companies reducing their operations in Europe amid an escalating trade conflict and falling sales.

    Context

    SVOLT, formerly part of Great Wall Motor, announced in 2019 the opening of its first foreign production base and research center in Europe. Investments in the project amounted to about €2 billion. Svolt planned to build two factories in Germany: a battery module and battery pack plant in Saarland and a cell plant in Brandenburg. The company intended to produce batteries with a total capacity of 24 gigawatt-hours at the European site. However, the construction of the plants was suspended.

    Recall

    The European Commission has introduced temporary countervailing duties on imports of battery electric vehicles from China ranging from 17.4% to 37.6%. At the same time, the new duties do not apply to hybrid cars, which allows Chinese automakers to continue selling partially electric hybrids in Europe at lower tariffs, although they face competition from European manufacturers in this segment.

    EU postpones vote on tariffs on Chinese electric cars: wants to talk to BeijingSeptember 20 2024, 08:08 AM • 13280 views

  • Chinese hackers attacked Trump and Vance’s phones

    Chinese hackers attacked Trump and Vance’s phones

    Chinese hackers attacked Trump and Vance's phones

    Chinese hackers attempted to access the phone data of Donald Trump and J.D. Vance through Verizon systems. The attack raised serious concerns about US national security.

    Chinese hackers tried to access the phone data of Donald Trump and J.D. Vance. This is reported by The New York Times, according to UNN.

    Add

    The hacker attack has reportedly raised serious national security concerns, but it is not yet known whether the attackers managed to obtain any data.

    Trump's campaign team learned about the data breach this week when it became known that Chinese hackers had attacked not only them but others in the US administration through Verizon's telecommunications systems.

    FBI says Chinese hackers are preparing to attack US infrastructureApril 19 2024, 11:42 AM • 14725 views

  • Panama Canal increases profits despite historic drought and traffic restrictions

    Panama Canal increases profits despite historic drought and traffic restrictions

    Panama Canal increases profits despite historic drought and traffic restrictions

    The Panama Canal's profit increased by 9.5% to $3.45 billion for the fiscal year. Due to the severe drought, the administration was forced to limit daily ship traffic and reduce the maximum draft.

    The Panama Canal's profit increased by 9.5% despite the drought. This was reported by Reuters, according to UNN.

    Add

    The Panama Canal's profits for the fiscal year ending in September increased by about 9.5%, reaching $3.45 billion. This result came despite a severe drought that significantly affected the number of ships passing through the waterway.

    One of the reasons for the decline in shipping volume is the third driest year in the history of the canal, which led to a decrease in the amount of water available for operation. As a result, the canal administration was forced to limit the number of vessels allowed to pass through per day and reduce the maximum permitted draft.

    President Zelenskyy: Panama has joined the Peace Summit communiquéSeptember 10 2024, 10:58 AM • 15424 views

  • G7 to provide $50 billion loan to Ukraine

    G7 to provide $50 billion loan to Ukraine

    G7 to provide $50 billion loan to Ukraine

    The G7 leaders agreed to provide Ukraine with $50 billion in loans through the Emergency Revenue Acceleration Facility. The funds will be serviced from immobilized russian assets.

    G7 leaders have agreed to provide Ukraine with $50 billion in loans. This was announced in a joint statement by the G7, UNN reports.

    Add

    The G7 leaders have agreed to provide Ukraine with $50 billion in loans through the Emergency Revenue Acceleration Facility. This money will be serviced by future proceeds from the immobilization of Russian sovereign assets in accordance with G7 legal systems and international law. Disbursements are planned to be made through various channels, including budgetary, military and reconstruction assistance to Ukraine.

    The leaders expressed their gratitude for the timely implementation of this historic decision and noted the constructive participation of the European Union in reaching the agreements. It was stated that the G7 reaffirms its commitments made at the Puglia summit and focuses on supporting Ukraine in the face of terrorist aggression, which has caused significant damage to the Ukrainian people.

    We will be unwavering in our determination to support Ukraine as long as necessary. russia must compensate for the damage caused

    – reads the G7 statement.

    G7 to announce $50 billion loan for Ukraine on October 25 – European CommissionerOctober 22 2024, 09:17 AM • 107487 views

  • Georgia determines its political future in parliamentary elections

    Georgia determines its political future in parliamentary elections

    Georgia determines its political future in parliamentary elections

    Parliamentary elections are being held in Georgia, where the pro-Russian Georgian Dream party is leading with 40% of support. The pro-European opposition has a chance to form a government, as the leader will not be able to rule alone.

    Today, Georgia is holding parliamentary elections that could significantly affect the direction of the country's development. This is reported by AFP, UNN reports.

    Details

    The Georgian Dream party, which adheres to a pro-Russian policy, is reportedly leading the polls. According to recent polls, it is supported by about 40% of voters, which allows it to maintain influence in the country's political life for 12 years.

    However, since the Georgian Dream is unlikely to be able to form a government on its own, this opens up an opportunity for a pro-European opposition. Georgia was granted candidate status to join the European Union in December last year, but political changes and internal problems have halted the membership process since last summer.

    MP: Georgia introduces additional checks for men with Ukrainian passportsOctober 25 2024, 05:00 PM • 13395 views

  • Israel strikes at Iran: a series of explosions in Tehran

    Israel strikes at Iran: a series of explosions in Tehran

    Israel strikes at Iran: a series of explosions in Tehran

    The IDF announces targeted strikes on military targets in Iran in response to months of attacks. Israel claims its right to self-defense after attacks on seven fronts.

    Israel strikes military targets in Iran in response to the attacks. This was reported by the IDF, UNN reports.

    Details

    The Israeli Defense Forces announced targeted strikes against military targets in Iran in response to months of continuous attacks by the Iranian regime.

    According to the IDF, since October 7, Israel has been attacked on seven fronts, including direct attacks from Iranian territory.

    Israel emphasizes its right to self-defense, pointing out that, like any other sovereign country, it has a duty to protect its territories and citizens.

    Israel planned a strike on the residences of Iranian leaders – BildOctober 24 2024, 03:05 PM • 14058 views

  • US Navy to arm ships with Patriot missiles to counter China

    US Navy to arm ships with Patriot missiles to counter China

    US Navy to arm ships with Patriot missiles to counter China

    The United States plans to install Patriot PAC-3 MSE interceptor missiles on warships. This decision was made in response to the potential threat of China's use of hypersonic weapons in the Pacific Ocean.

    The US Navy plans to arm ships with Patriot missiles in response to threats from China. This was reported by Reuters, according to UNN.

    Details

    In response to concerns that China could deploy hypersonic weapons to attack ships in the Pacific, the U.S. Navy is moving forward with a plan to equip some of its ships with Patriot interceptor missiles.

    According to industry representatives, the deployment of the Patriot Advanced Capability-3 Missile Segment Enhancement (PAC-3 MSE) highly flexible interceptors on board navy ships will help counter China's new missile technologies, including highly maneuverable hypersonic systems. This weapon, previously used primarily by the US Army, is expected to become a key element in securing sea routes in the region.

    'China won't like it at all': Beijing concerned about North Korean troops in russia – FTOctober 25 2024, 01:48 PM • 15023 views

  • Delta Air Lines sues CrowdStrike over half a billion dollar breach

    Delta Air Lines sues CrowdStrike over half a billion dollar breach

    Delta Air Lines sues CrowdStrike over half a billion dollar breach

    Delta Air Lines has filed a lawsuit against CrowdStrike over a global system failure in July. The incident resulted in flight cancelations for 1.3 million passengers and losses of more than $500 million.

    Delta Air Lines has filed a lawsuit against CrowdStrike in Georgia over a global disruption in July that resulted in flight cancellations for 1.3 million customers and losses of more than $500 million. This was reported by Reuters, according to UNN.

    Details

    In a lawsuit filed in Fulton County Superior Court, Delta claims that the problems arose from a “catastrophic” software update from CrowdStrike that caused millions of Windows-based computers worldwide to crash. The company estimates its losses at more than $500 million, pointing to a significant negative impact on the carrier's operations and reputation.

  • Apple wins patent suit against Masimo over smart dongles

    Apple wins patent suit against Masimo over smart dongles

    Apple wins patent suit against Masimo over smart dongles

    A federal jury in Delaware has found that early versions of Masimo smartwatches infringe two Apple patents. The infringement concerns the W1 and Freedom models and smartwatch design technologies.

    Apple has convinced a federal jury in Delaware that early versions of Masimo smartwatches, including the W1 and Freedom models, infringe on two of its patents. This is reported by AP, UNN reports.

    Details

    Apple has convinced a federal jury in Delaware that early versions of Masimo smartwatches, including the W1 and Freedom models, infringe on two of its patents. This decision was part of a larger dispute between the companies over intellectual property.

    The jury confirmed that the technologies used by Masimo in its products intentionally infringe Apple's patent rights to the design of smartwatches. This victory underscores Apple's efforts to protect its innovations in the wearables market.

    Apple is preparing a surprise: new Macs with M4 processors this weekOctober 25 2024, 10:03 AM • 9789 views