US not funds program monitoring kidnapped Ukrainian youngsters, Rubio says

US no longer funds program tracking abducted Ukrainian children, Rubio says

The U.S. authorities has not restored funding for a program documenting Ukrainian youngsters kidnapped by Russia, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio mentioned at a press convention on March 28.

Rubio's assertion got here a day after the U.S. State Division introduced that it could present short-term funding to the initiative after the White Home terminated this system.

"This system will not be funded. It was a part of the reductions that had been made," Rubio mentioned.

The initiative, run by Yale College's Humanitarian Analysis Lab below the State Division's Battle Observatory, used biometric information and satellite tv for pc imagery to trace Russia's abduction of Ukrainian youngsters.

No less than 19,500 Ukrainian youngsters have been confirmed as kidnapped by Russia because the begin of its full-scale invasion, with solely about 1,200 returned to Ukraine, in response to Ukraine's Youngsters of Warfare database.

Yale's analysis — funded by the U.S. authorities — has helped monitor hundreds of those circumstances.

Researchers reportedly misplaced entry to the database final month after officers terminated the contract, reducing off crucial proof for struggle crimes investigations.

In keeping with Rubio, the U.S. has secured the info and ensured that it may be transferred "to any applicable authorities."

The a number of cuts to international funding have begun to have an effect on worldwide efforts to carry Russia accountable, together with for struggle crimes dedicated in Ukraine.

The Worldwide Felony Court docket (ICC) issued an arrest warrant for Russian President Vladimir Putin and Russian Youngsters's Rights Ombudsman Maria Lvova-Belova in 2023 as a consequence of their participation within the deportation of Ukrainian youngsters.

As a part of ongoing U.S.-Russia negotiations, U.S. Nationwide Safety Adviser Mike Walz mentioned earlier in March that returning kidnapped Ukrainian youngsters is amongst a number of "confidence-building measures" being mentioned.

Ukrainian officers have named their return as a key situation for any future peace settlement with Russia.

USAGM withdraws termination of RFE/RL grant, funding back in effectThe U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM) has reversed its decision to terminate grant funding for Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) for the fiscal year 2025, RFE/RL reported on March 26.US no longer funds program tracking abducted Ukrainian children, Rubio saysThe Kyiv IndependentSonya BandouilUS no longer funds program tracking abducted Ukrainian children, Rubio says

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *